Tuesday, February 19, 2013

2013 Muskegon Polar Plunge

This past Saturday was the annual Polar Plunge in Muskegon, which used insane people jumping into a frozen lake in snowy 19º weather as a platform to raise money for the Special Olympics. Organizers literally had to cut a hole in Muskegon Lake just to get to the water, and it was so cold outside the water that splashed on my camera froze almost instantaneously.

Needless to say, I had a blast shooting this. Mostly because I would watch everyone scrambling out of the water, grabbing blankets and running for the heated buses thinking, "Man, I'm cold. But at least I'm not THAT" cold.











In addition, the other photo intern and good friend Ariana van den Akker decided she was insane/badass enough to do it herself. The California native was able to cross another thing off her Michigan Bucket List, I got to take pictures of her turning into an ice cube, and over $45,000 was raised for the Special Olympics. Now that's a good day.





No comments: