Wednesday, December 12, 2012

"This can't happen. It's Christmas."

Two sisters and their (combined) nine children were inside their house on S. Porter in Saginaw when they heard a loud noise from the back room and the house started filling with smoke.

I was getting ready for a high school basketball game when I saw a bunch of fire trucks race down my street. I could smell the smoke when I got outside and saw the trucks and bystanders gathered right down the street.

The kids were wrapped in blankets given to them by the neighbors, and the mothers were bawling. They didn't have anywhere else to go.

Every so often with this job I'm reminded to be thankful for what I have and not take things for granted.  I also wish I could do more for people sometimes. I hoped being there and publishing the pictures was a start, and led to people chipping in anything to help. I have no idea where they went after or how they are doing right now, but I'd like to find out.

No comments: